Cruise ships offer plenty of wine-tasting excursions for passengers looking to explore some of the world’s finest vineyards and sample delicious local wines. Whether you’re after a classic Mediterranean experience, an exploration of Australia’s best wineries or something a little more exotic, many ports around the globe offer outstanding opportunities for sipping some of the world’s finest vintages.
Cruise ships offer a variety of ports for passengers to enjoy a wine-tasting experience, ranging from classic Mediterranean cities to more exotic locales.
Spain: The country’s renowned Rioja region is known for its excellent Tempranillo wines. Explore wineries and cellars in the ancient city of Logroño, or take a vineyard tour of La Rioja Alavesa, where you can sample award-winning reds, whites and rosés.
France: Enjoy the best of Burgundy’s Pinot Noir and Chardonnay while visiting Beaune or explore Bordeaux’s celebrated Médoc and Sauternes regions with their Cabernet Sauvignon and Semillon blends. If you’re looking for something unique, visit Le Jardin des Vins de Bourgogne in Beaune to discover rare and experimental vintages.
Australia: Take a wine-tasting excursion through South Australia’s Barossa Valley, where you can taste some of the world’s finest Shiraz wines. Or explore Margaret River in Western Australia where you will find some of the country’s most iconic Chardonnays, Cabernet Sauvignons, Semillons and Merlots.
New Zealand: From Marlborough’s crisp Sauvignon Blancs to Central Otago’s rich Pinot Noirs, New Zealand offers an impressive mix of flavours in its vast selection of white and red wines. Visit wineries such as Cloudy Bay or Allan Scott Family Winemakers to sample some of the country’s finest vintages.
No matter where your cruise takes you, there is sure to be an amazing wine-tasting experience waiting for you! With so many different countries across the globe offering unique wines with distinct flavour profiles, your next cruise could be filled with exciting new tastes that will be sure to delight your palate!
For example, Santorini in Greece is one of the most popular cruise destinations for those seeking a unique wine-tasting adventure. Home to some of the oldest vineyards in Europe, Santorini offers breathtaking views over stunning caldera while providing passengers with an opportunity to sample some of Greece’s best wines. At Assyrtiko Winery, travellers can sip on award-winning white wines such as Nykteri and Vinsanto while Blue Note Winery provides fabulous reds such as Mandilaria and Aidani.
Passengers embarking from Los Angeles can take advantage of a selection of top-notch Napa Valley wineries located nearby for an unforgettable wine tasting experience. Visit Castello di Amorosa where you can sample some exquisite Italian-style wines or take a tour at Robert Mondavi Winery where visitors can enjoy live music and incredible views while sampling their signature Cabernet Sauvignon and Chardonnay wines. Take advantage of discounts at local wineries such as Hess Collection and Silver Oak Cellars when booking your cruise package online.
If you’re an adventurous oenophile looking for something a bit more exotic, why not consider visiting Chile? During your visit stop by Veramonte Winery in Casablanca Valley for some fantastic Sauvignon Blanc or Concha y Toro Vineyard near Santiago for their award-winning Cabernet Sauvignon. From here you can head south to Valle del Maipo where you can sample Carmenère—Chile’s signature red varietal—from renowned vineyards such as Viña Santa Rita and Viña San Pedro 1865.
These are just a few examples—there are plenty more exciting ports around the globe that offer amazing wine experiences waiting to be explored! No matter which destination you choose, make sure to book ahead so that you don’t miss out on these fantastic cruise ship wine excursions!
River Cruise Tips for Wine Lovers can vary greatly depending on your destination. It’s important to do your research and find out what type of wines are available in the areas you’ll be visiting. For instance, if you’re cruising through Europe, some of the well-known wine regions include Burgundy and Bordeaux in France, Tuscany in Italy, and Spain’s Ribera del Duero. Not only will you have the chance to sample some of these regions’ famous labels, but you’ll also be able to take part in interactive winemaking tours and activities that will give you an up-close look at how the wines are crafted.
If you’re looking for something a bit more exotic, why not check out some of the lesser-known destinations? Take South America for example—it is quickly becoming one of the most sought after places for oenophiles due to its unique terroir and variety of varietals. You could visit Casablanca Valley in Chile for a quick tasting of Sauvignon Blanc or explore Concha y Toro Vineyard near Santiago for their award-winning Cabernet Sauvignon. Valle del Maipo is another great spot to sample Carmenère—Chile’s signature red varietal—from renowned vineyards such as Viña Santa Rita and Viña San Pedro 1865.
No matter what kind of river cruise experience you are looking for, it’s important to book ahead so that you don’t miss out on any excellent winery visits or guided tours at ports along the way! Not only will these experiences allow you to taste different types of vintages from around the world, but they will also give you a chance to learn about winemaking techniques used by local producers as well as other interesting facts about each region’s history with wine production. With a little bit of planning and research, there is sure to be an amazing wine experience awaiting just around the corner!
5 Best Wine Themed Cruises:
1. Bordeaux River Cruise – Enjoy a luxurious journey along the French Garonne and Gironde Rivers with stops in several of France’s most renowned wine-producing regions, including Medoc, Saint-Emilion, and Graves. With over 60 tastings in some of the best wineries in the country, this is an amazing opportunity to sample some of the finest vintages and even learn about viticulture from local experts.
2. Moselle River Cruise – Explore the stunning riverside villages and vineyards of Germany’s Mosel Valley with a relaxing cruise that takes you through picturesque towns such as Cochem, Bernkastel-Kues, and Trier. Here, you can visit famous wineries to discover new types of wines and taste some local specialties from small family-run estates.
3. Douro River Cruise – Sail through Portugal’s Douro Valley on this incredible river cruise that features visits to renowned wineries such as Quinta do Alorna and Quinta do Vesuvio as well as exclusive tastings at boutique properties like Cockburn’s. Not only will you get to sample some exquisite port wines but also learn about traditional techniques used in Portuguese winemaking.
4. Danube River Cruise – Cruise through Central Europe on a romantic river cruise along the Danube while you sample top-notch wines from countries like Austria, Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Serbia, and Croatia. Enhance your experience by booking an optional guided tour that takes you to lesser known cellars where you can learn more about local growing techniques before sampling both whites and reds from each region.
5. Rhine River Cruise – Take a leisurely journey along Germany’s beautiful Rhine Valley on this outstanding seven night river cruise that includes wine tastings at some of the world’s oldest estates including Schloss Johannisberg and Schloss Vollrads along with opportunities for exploring castles such as Burg Eltz or Marksburg Castle near Koblenz. Expect unforgettable experiences filled with sublime scenery as well as exceptional vintages!